Activity 1.

Do this before the class. Watch the video.

Activity 2.

Oral Reading. Practice the script with your teacher.

LORELAI: ...my father golfing at the club.

SOOKIE: No.

JACKSON: Take the blueberries!

SOOKIE: No.

JACKSON: Ugh.

LORELAI: Golfing was masterminded by my mother, of course. One minute we're having an excrutiating family dinner and the next she's manipulating my kid into spending her Sunday with my father at the country club. Oh, I can't talk about it anymore. It's making me too upset. Tell me something happy.

(Sookie is about to cry.)

SOOKIE: I can't make the strawberry shortcake.

LORELAI: Wow. You suck at this game.

MICHEL: The battle for soup versus salad is waging in the other room. Come quick and settle it, please, as I'm running out of French curse words that they won't understand.

(Lorelai and Michel go into the lobby where the twin brides are in each others' faces arguing between soup and salad.)

JESSICA: Soup --

JACKIE: Salad...why are you making such a scene, Jessica? Jessica you are making a --

(Mrs. Shales walks over to Lorelai and Michel.)

MRS. SHALES: It's been 45 minutes of soup or salad. Soup or salad -- I can't do it anymore. Get me a cab. I'm going to go far away now and never come back.

LORELAI: How about if the guests get a choice of soup or salad?

MRS. SHALES: That -- that will work.

LORELAI: Choice of soup or salad.

SOOKIE: Got it.

(The grooms join the brides.)

LORELAI: It's so weird.

SOOKIE: Which one is which?

LORELAI: I don't know. I think the one on the right is Matt.

MICHEL: No, the one on the left is Matt. The one on the right is Mark.

LORELAI: That's very impressive.

MICHEL: Yes, well, I'm very good at observing people, you know, learning the tics and traits, sound of their voices. It's a gift.

SOOKIE: That one has a Post-It on its back.

MICHEL: Oh, well, then that's Mark. The one on the right is Matt.

LORELAI: You will go and take that off of him.

MICHE: I will not. We can't all just call everyone 'sweetie' and get away with it.

SOOKIE: Now, go with me, here. Let's say Mark walks into a hotel room and he sees his wife naked, but it's not his wife, it's his naked sister-in-law, and he has sex with her. Would that be cheating?

MICHEL: My head hurts.

LORELAI: (laughing) I think no.

SOOKIE: Really? Lucky.

MICHEL: If you ask me this union belongs on a public access station. It's against the laws of nature and just this short of completely obscene.

LORELAI: Oh, you won't be giving the wedding toast.

(Lorelai is walking Mrs. Shales to the door.)

LORELAI: How did everything work out?

MRS. SHALES: Do you have... 

Activity 3.

Listening Comprehension. 

A. Talk about the following expressions, what do they mean?

1.LORELAI: Golfing was masterminded by my mother, of course. One minute we're having an excrutiating family dinner and the next she's manipulating my kid into spending her Sunday with my father at the country club. Oh, I can't talk about it anymore. It's making me too upset. Tell me something happy.

2.MICHEL: The battle for soup versus salad is waging in the other room. Come quick and settle it, please, as I'm running out of French curse words that they won't understand.

3.MICHEL: I will not. We can't all just call everyone 'sweetie' and get away with it.

4.MICHEL: If you ask me this union belongs on a public access station. It's against the laws of nature and just this short of completely obscene.

B. Answer the following questions:

1. Why is Sookie upset?
2. How does Lorelai feel?
3. What's up with Michel?
4. Why are the 2 brides arguing? And what's the problem with the grooms?

(There are no discussion topics yet in this forum)