Activity 1.

Do this before the class. Watch the video.

Activity 2.

Oral Reading. Practice the script with your teacher.

RECEPTIONIST: Can I help you?

LORELAI: God, I wish.

[Lorelai walks over to the hairdryer chairs and knocks on her mother's hairdryer]

EMILY: What on earth. . . [lifts up the hairdryer]

LORELAI: You're not buying us a DSL.

EMILY: Lorelai, this is hardly the place.

LORELAI: I canceled the order, and it's not happening.

EMILY: But Rory needs the Internet for her school.

LORELAI: We have the Internet.

EMILY: Well, this is faster.

LORELAI: Well, we like our Internet slow, okay? We can turn it on, walk around, do a little dance, make a sandwich. With DSL, there's no dancing, no walking, and we'd starve. It'd be all work and no play. Have you not seen The Shining, Mom?

EMILY: What on earth are you talking about?

LORELAI: Also, there will be no cars, no parking spaces, and all the uniforms will be supplied by me, the mother. That's final. There will be no discussion.

EMILY: You're being stubborn, as usual.

LORELAI: No, Mom, I'm not being stubborn as usual, I'm being me! The same person who always needed to work out her own problems and take care of herself because that's the way I was born. That's how I am!

EMILY: Florence, I'm dripping.

LORELAI: I appreciate what you have done for Rory in paying for her school, That will not be forgotten. You won't let it. But she is my daughter, and I decide how we live, not you. Now then, do they validate parking here?

EMILY: There's a stamp at the desk.

LORELAI: Thank you.

[Lorelai walks out. Emily looks around, embarrassed]

CUT TO FRONT OF CHILTON
[Lorelai is drinking coffee by the Jeep as she waits for Rory. Rory emerges from the school]

LORELAI: Mm. Hey, you.

[Rory walks over, drops her backpack and hugs Lorelai]

LORELAI: Oh.

RORY: So, this whole plaid-skirt thing. . .my idea?

LORELAI: My day sucked, too.

RORY: Promise?

LORELAI: Swear on my mother's life. [starts to pull back]

RORY: Not yet.

LORELAI: Ooh, still hugging, still hugging. [they pull apart] So, I brought us...

Activity 3.

Listening Comprehension. 

A. Talk about the following expressions, what do they mean?

1. What on earth. . . 
2. Lorelai, this is hardly the place.
3. Also, there will be no cars, no parking spaces, and all the uniforms will be supplied by me, the mother. That's final. There will be no discussion.
4. No, Mom, I'm not being stubborn as usual, I'm being me! The same person who always needed to work out her own problems and take care of herself because that's the way I was born. That's how I am!
5. I appreciate what you have done for Rory in paying for her school, That will not be forgotten. You won't let it. But she is my daughter, and I decide how we live, not you.
6. So, this whole plaid-skirt thing. . .my idea?
7. My day sucked, too.
8. Swear on my mother's life. 

B. Answer the following questions:

1. Where did Lorelai go? Why did she go there?
2. What did Lorelai tell her mom?
3. How did Emily react to Lorelai?
4. What happened when Lorelai picked up Rory?

(There are no discussion topics yet in this forum)