Activity 1.

Do this before the class. Watch the video.

Activity 2.

Oral Reading. Practice the script with your teacher.

LORELAI: Okay. . .I look great, right?

SOOKIE: Yes.

LORELAI: Yes, see. This is how I was supposed to look this morning. Good morning, Jackson.

SOOKIE: Oh my God, today was Rory's first day!

LORELAI: Yes, and I was supposed to look together and fabulous, and not like I'd been up all night playing quarters.

SOOKIE: Oh, nobody cares how you looked.

LORELAI: Everybody cared.

SOOKIE: Who?

LORELAI: Uh, the other moms, the headmaster, my mom, Luke, Miss Patty, the new fire chief with the tiny little head.

SOOKIE: [holds out a peach] Taste this.

LORELAI: [bites peach] Hm, a little watery.

JACKSON: Oh, now, you planned this!

SOOKIE: Did you say something about your mother?

LORELAI: Oh, yeah. I walked into the headmaster's office and there she was.

SOOKIE: Really? Why?

LORELAI: Because she knew I'd wake up late and dress like a cowgirl and humiliate myself.

SOOKIE: Wow, she's good.

LORELAI: The best.

[Sookie rolls a peach along the floor.]

JACKSON: Oh, I would love to know what you're doing.

SOOKIE: They're rolling differently, too.

JACKSON: Oh, because of the extra water.

SOOKIE: Exactly.

JACKSON: Makes perfect sense.

SOOKIE: Well, I would ignore those women because the only thing that matters is that Rory got into that great school.

LORELAI: I know. She looked so amazing in her uniform, and she was so excited. And I just admire her so much jumping into a new school. She's my hero.

SOOKIE: Mine, too.

JACKSON: Oh, yeah, sign me up. Sookie, the peaches, please.

[Michel walks in]

MICHEL: Excuse me. There's a phone call for you, and if I'm to fetch you like a dog, I'd like a cookie and a raise.

LORELAI: [to Jackson] Thanks for the peach. [hands the peach to him, then walks away]

[Cut to the lobby; a few older women are looking at a guide book as Lorelai and Michel walk by]

WOMAN: This will be absolutely wonderful. There are supposed to be darling shops all up and down this street. [to Michel] Oh, excuse me sir. Can you tell me where we can find the best antiques?

MICHEL: At your house, I'd guess. [walks off]

LORELAI: [on phone at the front desk] Mom, did I give you this number, 'cause I don't remember giving you this number. Yeah, well, I must be losing my mind. What can I, uh. . . I'm sorry Mom, can you hold on one second? [covers phone] Um, Drella, could you just, uh, take it down just a notch? Thanks. [on phone] Okay, I'm back.

EMILY: I wanted you to know that I just bought a parking space for Rory at Chilton.

LORELAI: You what?

EMILY: They are very hard to come by, but I pulled a few strings and it's all hers.

LORELAI: Mom, uh, Rory doesn't have a car.

Activity 3.

Listening Comprehension. 

A. Talk about the following lines, what do they mean?

1. Yes, and I was supposed to look together and fabulous, and not like I'd been up all night playing quarters.
2. Because she knew I'd wake up late and dress like a cowgirl and humiliate myself.
3. She looked so amazing in her uniform, and she was so excited. And I just admire her so much jumping into a new school. She's my hero.
4. There's a phone call for you, and if I'm to fetch you like a dog, I'd like a cookie and a raise.
5. WOMAN: [to Michel] Oh, excuse me sir. Can you tell me where we can find the best antiques?
MICHEL: At your house, I'd guess. 
6. Yeah, well, I must be losing my mind.
7. Um, Drella, could you just, uh, take it down just a notch? Thanks. 
8. They are very hard to come by, but I pulled a few strings and it's all hers.

B. Answer the following questions:

1. What did Lorelai and Sookie talk about?
2. How does Lorelai look in her outfit now?
3. How does Sookie feel about Rory going to Chilton?
4. Why was Michel a bit upset with Lorelai?
5. Why did Emily call at the inn?

(There are no discussion topics yet in this forum)