Activity 1.

Do this before the class. Watch the video.

Activity 2.

Oral Reading. Practice the script with your teacher.

RORY: You'll notice the debating team's also missing from my resume.

HEADMASTER: I've known your grandparents for quite some time.

RORY: I know.

HEADMASTER: In fact, I was at a party at their house just last week where I had the most delicious lobster puffs I've ever eaten. I'm very fond of them.

RORY: That's nice.

HEADMASTER: None of this, however, will be of any benefit to you. Chilton has one of the highest academic standards of any school in America. You may have been the smartest girl at Stars Hollow, but this is a different place. The pressures are greater, the rules are stricter, and the expectations are higher. If you make it through, you will have received one of the finest educations one can get, and there should be no reason why you should not achieve all your goals. However, since you are starting late and are not used to this highly competitive atmosphere, there is a good chance you will fail. That is fine. Failure is a part of life, but not a part of Chilton. Understand?

RORY: So, you liked the lobster puffs, huh?

HEADMASTER: Take this to Miss James in the administration office across the hall.

[He hands her a folder. She takes it and leaves the room]

CUT TO THE ADMINISTRATION OFFICE
[Rory walks up to a woman at the desk and sets down her folder]

RORY: Hi, I'm looking for Miss James.

MISS JAMES: Name?

RORY: Lorelai Gilmore. But I go by Rory.

MISS JAMES: Fill this out, please.

[Miss James gives Rory a piece of paper. She takes Rory's folder and walks it over to another desk. The student at the desk looks around, then takes the folder and passes it out the window to someone.]

CUT TO OUTSIDE THE WINDOW
[The three girls who were on the staircase earlier are sitting in the bushes. They go through Rory's folder.]

LOUISE: Well?

PARIS: Shut up.

MADELINE: Hurry, please. Spiders.

PARIS: Lorelai Gilmore.

LOUISE: Nice stripper name.

PARIS: Formerly of Stars Hollow High School.

LOUISE: Where's that?

Activity 3.

Listening Comprehension. 

A. Talk about the following lines, what do they mean?

1. RORY: You'll notice the debating team's also missing from my resume.

2. HEADMASTER: None of this, however, will be of any benefit to you. Chilton has one of the highest academic standards of any school in America. You may have been the smartest girl at Stars Hollow, but this is a different place. The pressures are greater, the rules are stricter, and the expectations are higher. If you make it through, you will have received one of the finest educations one can get, and there should be no reason why you should not achieve all your goals. However, since you are starting late and are not used to this highly competitive atmosphere, there is a good chance you will fail. That is fine. Failure is a part of life, but not a part of Chilton. Understand?

3. RORY: Lorelai Gilmore. But I go by Rory.

4. LOUISE: Nice stripper name.

B. Answer the following questions:

1. Why is Rory a little upset with the interview?

2. What did the headmaster remind Rory?

3. What do you think the girls are doing on the staircase?

4. What do they think of Rory?

(There are no discussion topics yet in this forum)