Activity 1.

Do this before the class. Watch the video.

Activity 2.

Oral Reading. Practice the script with your teacher.

LORELAI: Oh, good, more big stuff.

[They walk down a staircase]

RORY: Turn left.

[As Rory and Lorelai walk off the screen, three girls on the staircase stare after them.]

[Lorelai and Rory walk down a hallway toward the headmaster's office. They reach the double doors and stand in front of them]

LORELAI: You ready?

RORY: No.

[pause]

LORELAI: You ready?

RORY: Yes.

[They push open the doors and walk into the room. They walk up to the secretary working at a desk]

LORELAI: [clears throat] Um, excuse me.

[the secretary suddenly looks up, Lorelai jumps back slightly]

LORELAI: Oh! How. . .wow, hi. I'm Lorelai Gilmore. This is my daughter, Lorelai Gilmore. . .'cause I named her after me. I was in the hospital all whacked out on Demerol. Never mind. Um, but we call her Rory. It's short for Lorelai, but she'll answer to either one, or even 'Hey, you' depending on the. . . [Rory nudges her] Uh, is the headmaster here?

SECRETARY: [stands up] One moment. [Walks through a door behind them]

LORELAI: [whispers] See, that's what happens when you go to bed with your makeup on.

[A moment later, the door opens]

SECRETARY: Headmaster Charleston will see you now.

LORELAI: Great, great. Thanks.

[They walk into the headmaster's office]

HEADMASTER: Ms. Gilmore, I'm Headmaster Charleston.

LORELAI: Hi. Wow, it's really nice to meet. . .[looks around and sees her mother on the sofa] Mom. Um, excuse me. What are you doing here?

EMILY: [walks over] I came to wish my granddaughter luck on her first day of school.

LORELAI: But -

EMILY: Rory, you look wonderful in that uniform!

LORELAI: Uh, you didn't have to come all the way out here, Mom.

EMILY: Well, this gave me a ...

Activity 3.

Listening Comprehension. 

A. Talk about the following lines, what do they mean?

1. LORELAI: Oh! How. . .wow, hi. I'm Lorelai Gilmore. This is my daughter, Lorelai Gilmore. . .'cause I named her after me. I was in the hospital all whacked out on Demerol. Never mind. Um, but we call her Rory. It's short for Lorelai, but she'll answer to either one, or even 'Hey, you' depending on the. . .

2. LORELAI: [whispers] See, that's what happens when you go to bed with your makeup on.

3. EMILY: [walks over] I came to wish my granddaughter luck on her first day of school.

4. LORELAI: Uh, you didn't have to come all the way out here, Mom.

B. Answer the following questions:

1. Why do Lorelai and Rory feel so nervous?

2. What things did Lorelai tell the secretary?

3. Who did Lorelai and Rory see at the headmaster's office?

4. Why is Emily there?

(There are no discussion topics yet in this forum)