Activity 1.

Do this before the class. Watch the video.

Activity 2.

Oral Reading. Practice the script with your teacher.

LORELAI: ...the flippy skirt. I look so great in the flippy skirt.

RORY: It's 7:17.

LORELAI: Okay, you know what, time lady? Why don't you go downstairs and warm up the car? That would be really super. Thank you.

RORY: Just hurry!

[Rory goes downstairs, Lorelai rummages through a drawer.]

LORELAI: This sucks! This sucks! This sucks!

RORY: [calls from downstairs] It's 7:18!

LORELAI: Oh, for the love of God! [she sits on the bed and puts on her socks. She glances at her fuzzy clock] This is the last time I buy anything just because it's furry.

CUT TO LORELAI'S LIVING ROOM
[Rory is waiting at the foot of the stairs. Lorelai runs down the steps in cowboy boots, really short frayed shorts, and a bright pink tie-dyed T-shirt.]

RORY: It's 7--

LORELAI: Don't even think of finishing that sentence! [sees Rory looking at her outfit] What?

RORY: Nothing. I just didn't know the rodeo was in town.

LORELAI: All right, that's it. [grabs a picture from the desk] I'm bringing the baby pictures.

RORY: No! I'm sorry! I love the rodeo, the rodeo rules!

CUT TO INSIDE THE JEEP
[Lorelai and Rory are driving through the town square]

LORELAI: I am so done with plans. I am never ever making one again. It never works. I spend the day obsessing over why it didn't work and what I could've done differently. I'm analyzing all my shortcomings when all I really need to be doing is vowing to never ever make a plan ever again, which I'm doing now. Having, once again, been the innocent victim of my own stupid plans. God, I need some coffee.

[cut to the Jeep driving down the highway toward Hartford]

Note - The speech in this scene was cut from the audio after the original airing and can still be seen but not heard.

CUT TO OUTSIDE OF CHILTON
[Lorelai and Rory sit in the Jeep staring at the school]

RORY: I remember it being smaller.

LORELAI: Yeah. And less. . .

RORY: Off with their heads.

LORELAI: Yeah. [tilts her head and peers up at the building]

RORY: What are you looking at?

LORELAI: I'm just trying to see if there's a hunchback up in that bell tower.

RORY: So, how do I look?

LORELAI: [smiles proudly] You look great.

RORY: Really?

LORELAI: Really. You are an amazing kid. You have earned this. You just go in there and show them what smart really is. I love you. Just call me if you need me.

RORY: You're kidding, right?

LORELAI: No. Call me if you need anything. I'm great at making up dirty cheers.

Activity 3.

Listening Comprehension. 

A. Talk about the following lines, what do they mean?

1. LORELAI: Okay, you know what, time lady? Why don't you go downstairs and warm up the car? That would be really super. Thank you.

2. LORELAI: Oh, for the love of God! This is the last time I buy anything just because it's furry.

3. RORY: Nothing. I just didn't know the rodeo was in town.

4. LORELAI: I am so done with plans. I am never ever making one again. It never works. I spend the day obsessing over why it didn't work and what I could've done differently. I'm analyzing all my shortcomings when all I really need to be doing is vowing to never ever make a plan ever again, which I'm doing now. Having, once again, been the innocent victim of my own stupid plans. God, I need some coffee.

5. LORELAI: I'm just trying to see if there's a hunchback up in that bell tower.

6. LORELAI: No. Call me if you need anything. I'm great at making up dirty cheers.

B. Answer the following questions:

1. Why was Lorelai wearing a rodeo outfit?

2. Why did Lorelai threat Rory about the baby pictures?

3. While driving, what did Lorelai promise to herself? Why?

4. How did Lorelai and Rory feel as they go near the school?

(There are no discussion topics yet in this forum)